Sunday, December 24, 2006

Why I am Doing This

Some years ago, I decided to go with a group from Rotary International to Nicaragua in order to see what I might be able to do to help with the poverty there. I did this because having grown up in Peru, I had been exposed to poverty at an early age, and decided at that time that if I ever had the resources to help alleviate it, I would try. I chose Nicaragua over other possibilities for my first attempt because 1) I speak Spanish; 2) it is a relatively short trip from anywhere in the U.S., and; 3) It is the second poorest country in the western hemisphere.

It didn't take long before I found numerous ways to help, and for several years I was very proud of my accomplishments. Today, I am proud of less of them, and I am overwhelmed by the unintended consequences of all of them.

What I didn't understand starting out is that what we up here in our luxury homes call "
poverty" when we see it in the third world, is a way of life wrapped up in a culture with roots going back hundreds, if not thousands, of years. To attack the "poverty", you first have to convince people living in it that they are suffering. They don't see themselves through first world eyes. They see themselves as simply living the lives God gave them, in the same way that their ancestors did. For the most part they are as happy or happier than most of the people I know here in the U.S.

If suicide rates are any indication of people's comfort and satisfaction with life, take a look at
this table, which although I'm sure has flaws, indicates to me that, in general, the richer a country is (except apparently in the former Soviet states), the more of its citizens choose to take their own lives. In addition to suicide rates, check out the life expectancies for various countries around the world. Many "poor" countries, except for those suffering outright famine and/or civil war (the two usually seem to go together), or the AIDS epidemic in Sub-Saharan Africa, are only 5 or 6 years shy of the good old U.S.ofA. How can Nicaragua have 80% of its 5.5 million people living below the the official World Bank poverty line of $2 per day, and still have a national life expectancy of almost 68 years? While that number is 10 years less than the U.S., I find it surprisingly high; and it is skewed way downward by a high infant mortality rate (28.11 per thousand live births in Nicaragua, versus 6.43 for the U.S.)

In my experience, the answer is that within their own country, they don't need $2 per day to survive, as long as they make it past the first year. I have helped a lot of infants do that (survive) with $5 worth of antibiotics, generally talking the mother into having her tubes tied (another $150) at the same time. Is that right? I don't think the Pope would think so.

I know lots of people in Nicaragua who live on less than $0 per day and most of them are doing just fine. They raise corn, chickens, & goats; they collect rainwater when it rains; they catch fish in the lake. On Sunday afternoons they all gather under a tree, drink Guaro (the local hooch made out of sugarcane) watch their kids and grand kids play, and in general have a rockin' good time.

The unfortunate quandry I have found myself in is that most of the people I have tried to help are no longer satisfied with this lifestyle, and although some will eventually move beyond it, many will not; and will live out their lives less satisfied than they might have otherwise been.

Who am I to do that to them?

12 comments:

Unknown said...

ooohhhhh someone has a new hobby!

tomcal said...

Yes, as usual!

Helen said...

Hi "Tomcal"

Good luck with your blog. I hope you enjoy it as much as I have mine!

Cham said...

Good luck with the blog.

Whenever some do-gooder starts telling me about how 3rd world countries need "our help" in alleviating "poverty" I always ask, "If they need financial assistance so badly why is everyone in these places walking around with such a big smile on their faces?" I usually get a dirty look in response. You don't need money to find happiness and fulfillment.

You can be pretty happy with 2 donkey, 2 sheep, 2 dogs, 2 alapacas a mud hut and a filed full of onions and potatoes.

DRJ said...

Hi TomCal/DonTom,

Good post. For some time, I've appreciated your comments at Dr. Helen's blog and it seems you also have an unusual background that will be interesting to hear about. I look forward to reading your blog and thinking about what you have to say.

Lapu Lapu said...

Hi Don Tom,

Very good post. What you say about poverty rings true with my experience also, at least in certain situations. But I do think that people that live in a place like a Rio favela are "poor", at least in their quality of life if nothing else.

I guess the most important point is that "progress" is non-reversible, future generations cannot go back to the old way of living once taken away from the environment.

DADvocate said...

Hi, Don Tom. Excellent post. You point out quite correctly how we need to be very careful regarding how we "help" others. The cure can easily be worse than the disease. In many ways, we in the U.S. need to live more like the people in Nicaragua and learn to be happy with what we have.

Anonymous said...

Your bio asks if global warming is real. Check out junkscience.com for real references on global warming.

Your new blog is very interesting and honest.

Anonymous said...

Ask any nerd, geek, or hard sciences PhD. about the philosophy of prime directive.
Ask any naturalist about "Take nothing but pictures, eave nothing but footprints" (in some circumstances even those are too much!)
Well intentioned folk have caused a mountain of unintended concequences by imposing their poisioned standards of civilisation everywhere. So called humanities enthusiasts are probably the worst.
I've done so myself. "The Gods Must Be Crazy" shows how the stupidest thing I don't scrutinize can go blooie. Attempting to retroactively fix it often just makes it worse.
All I can do is tell myself I had good intentions and leave well enough alone.

Hope THIS new venture goes well for you. Do the right thing!

Purple Avenger said...

I have a number of Haitian neighbors who tell me the people who live outside the cities in Haiti can and do live quite handily on $0.00/day.

Anonymous said...

i know i want to live with a certain amount of money, but thats because in the western world you need money, taxes etc etc.. in the 3rd world countries theres a more of a self sufficiency route..

have enough to provide for you and your family.. i always worry when i see these adverts about starving children, ok we feed them fine, but then they have children, and they are starving themselves.. i truly believe in a natural order. if a group is starving due to over population, then nature (or god) should and does sort it out..

maybe there wouldnt be as many dying children, if the population there evolved into a more natural ratio. yes children dying is bad, but shouldnt they be working on a sustainable situation, first.. rather than simply handing them money out, which a lot of it gets appropriate by governments and the people actually see pennies.

theres been stories about children thats been sponsored, being killed by other kids.. because they were "RICH"

Putri Adiratnaa said...

oportunidad de préstamo ofrecida por el señor pedro que salvó a mi familia de la servidumbre financiera hola a todos, soy putri adiratna, una madre soltera de yakarta, me gustaría compartir este gran testimonio sobre cómo obtuve un préstamo del señor pedro cuando nos echaron de nuestra casa cuando ya no podía pagar mis facturas, después de ser estafado por varias compañías en línea y me negaron un préstamo de mi banco y alguna otra cooperativa de crédito que visité. mis hijos fueron acogidos en hogares de acogida, yo estaba solo en la calle. el día en que me encontré vergonzosamente con un viejo compañero de escuela que me presentó a Daisy Maureen. Al principio le dije que ya no estoy lista para correr ningún riesgo de solicitar un préstamo en línea, pero ella me aseguró que recibiré mi préstamo de ellos. pensándolo bien, debido a mi falta de vivienda tuve que hacer una prueba y solicitar el préstamo, por suerte para mí recibí un préstamo de $ 80,000.00 del sr. pedro. Estoy feliz de haber tomado el riesgo y haber solicitado el préstamo. Me han devuelto a mis hijos y ahora soy dueño de una casa y un negocio propio. Todo el agradecimiento y gratitud va en ayuda del sr. Pedro por darme un sentido a la vida cuando había perdido toda esperanza. Si actualmente está buscando asistencia para préstamos, puede comunicarse con ellos a través de: {pedroloanss@gmail.com